Friday, March 16, 2012

African American Woman Moves Family to Senegal

Sineta George  I’m ‘Doin’ it SenegalStyle
Go West Young Woman (with your children!) to West Africa!

(Guest Blogger Sineta George  owner of Senegal Style)

Greetings from the ‘Dark Continent,’ ‘The Motherland,’ my own personal paradise!
I’m a single woman, Southern Belle by birth, born and reared in the Gulf Coast of America and have lived in my adopted home town of Dakar Senegal for about 12 years now. I moved over in 1999 with my 3 children (13, 9 & 5 at the time) to educate my kids in the excellent international baccalaureate program that is standard, throughout the entire country!

Two are now grown and back in the US and the youngest is 17 and still in school here. When your children graduate from any Senegalese High School, they start college in the US and Europe as a junior (check out IB for yourself)! We didn’t even have IB when I was growing up, within 500 miles of our home (and even if we did, because of the school district laws in the US, I wouldn't have been able to attend anyway).

Throw in the safety and security of living in a Muslim country, (2nd from the bottom of the world for murders), drug, alcohol & gang-free environment, and beautiful weather every single day (nice beaches, cosmopolitan population of every nationality...Dakar reminds me of Atlanta actually).

I came originally as a tourist and just loved it! Watching thousands of men & women go to Friday Prayer with their children, both girls and boys, was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. I wanted my children to grow up around strong, black, religiously motivated (but free to cover or not cover, and be Christian, Muslim, or agnostic!) so moving here was a no brainer and a lot easier than you think!

Many people are hesitant about visiting Francophone West Africa, even though this part of Africa is where Black Americans come from. Not South Africa! We have absolutely zero cultural connection to South Africa, but we go there by the thousands every year! It's like an Irish man going to Italy to find his roots - same continent, wrong area. West Africa, particularly Senegal & Gambia, Mali, Nigeria, Guinea & Ivory Coast (remember hearing your grandparents using the words 'geetchie' talk or black people from South Carolina being called 'geetchies'? They came from Guinea!). These places are our roots and we need to come here with our children and show them a different, better life. In my opinion, South Africa is more violent than South Central, and the people of South Africa are not even 'us.'

So young women (and men), don’t be 'skeered.' If you are thinking of adventure travel, Senegal is your place. Volunteer tourism  to get your feet wet? They are always looking for English teachers here!

If you want to learn French, Senegal is cheaper than France and 

Sineta @African Renaissance Statue
friendlier, too! Want to perfect your African drumming? Learn with the best of the best, Senegalese Drummaker and Master Percussionist, Ibou Sene (google him!)

There are many places to go and things to do: tours, by motorscooter and car, both inside and outside of Dakar, as well. Animal wildlife reserves, the tallest statue in the world is located here in the city (The African Renaissance Statue shown in the picture), a Pink Lake, village life, zip-lining and bungee jumping at Accrobaobab park, the beautiful beaches, African markets & Goree Island, Senegales wrestling, cheap hair weave & braiding(smile), upscale restaurants, clubs and nightlife and so much more!

If you want to import/export African textiles, gold or silver jewelry, art, drums and baskets, herbal products like Shea Butter & African black soap, or other items, Senegal has a professionally run flat rate port system so importing or exporting by container or air is not problematic.

Do additional homework online and feel free to email me at SenegalStyle@gmail.com.

Doin' it SenegalStyle!
Sineta George - Google me; I'm legit!

Website: http://senegalstyle.wordpress.com/

Visit page for other Senegal Destinations

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your experience and recommendations. I visited Senegal earlier this year and I came away with the same appreciation, love and knowledge of this country as you. There were some things that frustrated me though -poor infrastructure, inadequate safe drinking water system, environmental conditions and poor building codes- all of which if their government is committed to improving, will create lots of jobs and careers for those highly educated and motivated Senegalese people -which there is no shortage of. I too am looking to move there in a few years to live. As a single black woman, I'm giving up looking for a life partner here in the US now that I have discovered such a place with an ABUNDANCE of attractive, intelligent, spiritual and appreciative black men.

Unknown said...

love your post, It is definite a learning experience. I love Senegal and the people.

Anonymous said...

Great insight my sistah.