Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Hiring a Private Tour Guide


Private Tour Guide

Why you must hire a Private Tour Guide
I am a strong advocate of hiring a local private tour guide when touring. I know some of you are thinking ..."I paid all this money for this Lonely Planet/Frommers guide book, why do I need a human guide?"


When I first started traveling I felt the same way. Why spend the money on a private tour guide when I am an educated woman who can figure things out on my own.. It's crazy that money I save ,I can spend now in the gift shops. Who wants to follow some silly know-it-all guide waving a a umbrella around?


Private Tour Guide
When touring a site there is much more to see and experience then what it in the guide books. I found myself ease dropping in on other guided tours. I was dismayed to hear tidbits not found it my books. The last time I visited Versailles I hired a private tour guide. It was money well spent,even though I had been before,at which time I paid for one of those audioguided tours. An audio tour or audio guide provides a recorded spoken commentary, normally through a handheld device. I remember being very stressed out during my self guided tour because of the crowds and fiddling with the headset.


Private Tour Guide
Having my own private guide was like night and day. My guide Antonio not only knew how to navigate the crowds (it was even more crowded that day)  he also was able to answer any questions I had at the moment. What a relief not having to try and find the answers in a guide book. He was also able to make the tour more interesting  because of his endless knowledge on the history of Versailles. He could gage my reactions and go in depth on the the things that I was interested in and skim over what was boring to me. I was so happy with Antonio I also hired him to show me the Louvre.


As far as the cost , yes it was more than an audio tour but there was a group of us that chipped in, so it helped with the cost. Remember, you get what you pay for.There was other ways he saved us money. We where going to take a private car to the Louvre not being comfortable with the train system. He told us to meet him at  certain metro stop  he would show us the way.  It was so easy we felt silly afterwards  thinking about the money we would of wasted on a car.


Still not convinced...here are my reasons for hiring a private tour guide.

  • Their Brains..what they know

Private Tour Guide
 You see a building and want to know more about it. A guide book will give the facts in black and white. A good guide will tell you anecdotes about the building and its history in color.  You see the building in a new light, your guide has given it a soul. They will tell you facts that you will find interesting that you would not of even known to ask. I find that every place has its tantalizing secrets that the local tourism board doesn't like to advertise but your guide will tell you.

  • Saves you time

 You will not waste your time reading plaques or trying to decider maps . Your guide will know where he/she is going and will guide you around in a efficient manor. While doing this they make sure that you don't miss out on anything of importance. You should never feel rushed because the guide knows how to get you the information you need in a timely manner.



  • Helps with other aspects of your journey

Private Tour Guide
A good guide will question you on your trip. They will want to know what you have seen and what you plan on seeing. Partly yes , to see if they can maybe pick up more business guiding you again. You know that as much enthusiasm as they have for guiding it is not a hobby. For many guides this is the way they support their family. Even if you don't hire them again they are usually more than willing to give you free advice on your itinerary. Most guides will tell you about the best ways to exchange money. Where its not safe to venture on your own. They will give suggestions for dining, shopping and entertainment. Remember that sometimes the guides do make commission on these tips. I found though that they usually don't steer you wrong because their reputation is also on the line. They also realize that word of month is how the get a huge share of clients.


You spent a lot of money and time 
to get to your destination. While you do not need a  private guide 24/7, but just  for a couple of hours a day. You will find that hiring a private guide will greatly increase the value of your trip. Finding a good guide can be tricky. I think the best way is word of mouth. Ask around, do your research, get referrals. After all that has been said... some of the best guides I had... I just picked up along the way.

No comments: